Tuesday, April 12, 2005

My Creativity Finds Fruition In A Drawing.....


After sending the second step of my drawing to Steve, he provided me with some excellent feedback. He also provided me with a suggestion. Steve doesn't usually make suggestions with my art because he says that he loves my visions, but when he does pipe up, it's usually with a good idea. He suggested that I attach the halo to the clock with puppet strings. At first I was a little jilted by the idea. I think that was just the snotty artist coming through....I try to keep her quiet. I always try to be open to suggestions and criticisms. I was hesitant to try it at first, but as I was drawing it, I figured....if I didn't like it, I could just erase it. The joys of pencils lol.

So, I darkened the numbers on the clock, the hands, and fiddled with the background. I decided to put clouds, making the clock above the girl, and thus making sense to the puppet strings Steve had suggested. I started shading, smudging, and darkening. It was time for the strings. I tried to picture in my head how exactly someone would fashion strings onto a halo. I decided to just go with what I thought would look good. I made some strings longer, made them wavy to make it look like they had been cut, or were loose. And what would you know? I liked it!! Like I said, Steve doesn't suggest often, but when he does, it's usually good hehe.

After that it was just a matter of doing some extra shading on her face to make her look a little more three dimensional, adjust her eyes a touch, and make sure that everything that was supposed to be outlined was outlined. The result was this:



Halo Slipping Down - Final
Copyright Sara Janssen 2005. Do Not Use Without Permission.

I took a picture of my drawing and sent it off to Steve. He absolutely loved it. In typical "Me" fashion, I see all the mistakes and little imperfections, but overall I'm pleased with it. I titled it after Steve's poem, which was inspired by A Perfect Circle's song "The Noose". The title of the drawing is "Halo Slipping Down".

For those artists reading this, I used:

Staedtler 4B, 3B, 2B, F, 4H pencils
Standard Printer Paper
Good Ole Majesta kleenex (for smudging)
Crappy HB Pencil (for rough outline)


Keep checking back for other art concepts. Hoepfully I won't go through another serious creative block.

Sara