Saturday, April 08, 2006

Emotional Responses

I was just looking at pictures from NYC that a friend took on her visit there. She went to Ground Zero and took some snapshots. I have to admit that I had a very strong emotional response to a very specific picture. This picture just blew me away. I immediately felt heartache, I got the shivers and felt on the verge of tears. Immediately, waves of pain, fear, and sadness came over me. I was in no way tied to any of the people who were victims of 9/11, nor was I in anyway linked to anybody who knew someone in 9/11. I suppose my emotional response was simply because I knew what happened there. I watched the events unfold on my television screen unable to comprehend the pain, anguish and tension of what was happening. As a member of the human race I suppose it's almost impossible not to have some sort of emotional response to an event such as 9/11. It would be like seeing the site of the concentration camps from WWII, it's just something that makes anybody stop and think. What makes humans capable of such atrocities? How can some people be so caring, loving, and giving, and yet so many are capable of something as ghastly as the holocaust? I suppose it's part of what makes our world so fascinating. It breaks my heart to think that there are people out there capable of killing, that not everyone is like me and wishes the world could just live in peace. Humanity has been this way since the dawn of time, and things aren't likely to change in my lifetime. It's too bad, because it's almost mind-blowing to think of the amazing things we could do if we just combined our efforts and worked together for a cause greater than the destruction or exploitation of the weak.

Thanks Ang, the pictures were fantastic. You've made me want to go see NYC, even Ground Zero, even though I have a feeling it'll be hard to see.

Sara
-Who's gotten way too philosophical for a Saturday morning.