Monday, November 21, 2005

A Sara, A Wedding, and Grandma's Pearls

Well Matt and I went home yesterday for a short visit. We ended up at my Aunt and Uncle's for dinner. It was nice to see everyone. Practically the whole family was there! We had some drinks, had some laughs and ate a delicious meal. Afterwards, it was time for Matt and I to head home. As we were leaving my grandpa said that we had to stop by his house. I was confused because everyone seemed to know what was going on except me and Matt! lol. So Matt and I drove down to my grandpa's house. When we got down there, my grandpa asked me if I was all settled now. I said yes, and he came to me and handed me my grandma's gold watch. He said that I could have it now that I was settled. He also handed me a pink padded box with a gold tassle on it. He said that he was sure my grandma also wanted me to have these. I opened the box and there were my grandma's pearls. A necklace, bracelet and earrings. I almost started to cry. I had been thinking about her a lot lately (especially considering I had lost the mittens she had given me a couple of years ago!), but I did okay. I held back. The pearls are so beautiful, and I was really touched that my grandpa gave them to me.

My plan for the pearls is simple. I had nothing to wear with my dress on my wedding day, and now I have the perfect necklace. When I got home to the apartment I left Matt in the computer room and took the pearls in my lap in the bedroom. I seriously had to prepare myself to put them on. It seemed a little surreal at first, and I almost had a hard time trying them on. It seems sort of silly, afterall it's just a necklace, but they belonged to my grandma, and she was the last one to wear them. Once I put them on, they looked beautiful. I shed a few tears, I felt silly doing it, but a lot of emotions came flooding in. So I'm giving the pearls the showing they deserve, and I'll be wearing them on my wedding day. It'll be a small piece of my grandma present at the wedding. (Even though I know she'll be there with bells on, on the other side :o) ).

Sara