Friday, February 24, 2006

Emerging from the ever growing mountains of snow....


Okay, so it WON'T STOP SNOWING!!!! I mean, really I have no right to complain. The first two months of winter were pretty good. We had really mild temperatures, it even rained some days, and we got very little snow. Even in January we managed to avoid the usual deep freeze we get. Well, apparently Mother Nature had a rude awakening prepared for us for February lol. In the last month we have gotten over 100cm of snow....yup, you read that right...over 1 M OF SNOW!!! And it shows no signs of stopping. It's currently snowing, as I type this out! The picture to your right is me standing beside a snow bank outside our building after one of the storms this month. Now, we've gotten about another 30 - 40 cm of snow since this picture was taken. Isn't that sick!? And we haven't even hit March yet!

Now, I have a tiny little bone to pick with Mother Nature. All winter I've managed to keep my dislike for winter to a bare minumum because it really hadn't been that bad. It was a tolerable amount of snow, a few nostril-sticking cold days here or there, but nothing I couldn't handle. February has been the month from frosty hell!!! I kid you not. There have been mornings where it was -33 degrees celsius BEFORE the windchill. Okay...that's the temperature issue taken care of. Now the snow issue. It can't come in small doses, no NO, that would be asking to much lol. Mother Nature feels compelled to hit us with copious amounts in the matter of 3 storms, strategically placed throughout the month. (Mostly on weekends, although the last one was a whopper last night). At the daycare I work at, the kids can't play at the play structure because there's too much snow. The snow is piled up almost as high as the fence. When you're walking on the snow you're almost completely level with the top the fence. And we're supposed to get about 20 more cm before the end of the weekend, 10 of which is supposed to fall tonight. I don't thinkI can say this enough, I'M SICK OF WINTER!! And this is the time of year when people are all starting to suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, so people are grumpy and moody and overall real joys to be around...myself included lol. When I see it snowing outside I just want to scream, and then I want to scream even louder when I take the car out because you can't see over the 8 - 10 foot snowbanks. And don't even get me STARTED on the stupid drivers in the city, who's brains (if they have any at all) seem to go to mush or freeze the second snow starts to fall. LOL Ahh the joys of living in Northern Ontario, where it's a miracle that there's any spring at all.

On that note, I bought myself a delightful little pot of Crocuses from the CNIB to put in my patio door. They're already starting to bloom. It's my little taste of spring to tide me over until the snow leaves. Which won't be for a while yet. *sighs* BUT, I keep myself semi-sane by reminding myself on a regular basis that with each day that passes we're one day closer to spring. :o) Whenever that might be lol.

Sara
-Who's trying to remember what it's like to go outside and not have her nostrils instantly freeze together.