Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Google Comes Through!

Well, whoever said that Google was a waste of time was WRONG!! (Although I don't think anyone has ever said that! lol). Just for kicks this weekend I was searching names of people in my family and different friends. For some reason I decided to search the name of an old friend of mine from Sault Ste. Marie. Low and behold something came up! Only one google image came up with her name, and there was an email address as well. I wasn't going to email her, but I just couldn't resist. There was so way that I could do that search, find a picture (that looked so much like her it was scary!), and NOT email her. I'd constantly be wondering if it was her. So, I bit the bullet and fired off an email. Well, turns out it was her after all!! Now we're exchanging pictures and emails and catching up on all that lost time!

After my family moved from the Soo back in 1990, we rarely had a chance to talk to Berina and her family. We saw them a few times when we would be in the city, but eventually the ties were cut off and we lost contact. I never stopped thinking about them and what they were doing, but I didn't know how to find them. Well, Google showed me the way lol. Who'd have guessed?? So, it's fantastic to finally be able to talk to her after all this time. So much has happened in both our lives since the last time we spoke that it's going to take a long time to catch up, but it'll be a lot of fun :o)!! We're both very excited, and so's my mom!!!

On another note, today at work couldn't have been better! We had the municipal "inspector" there for a better part of the day watching our activities, routine, and just analyzing everything. I came into work at shortly after 8, not unlike what I normally do. I came in and saw that the kids were having a bit of a hard time today, and so were Cynthia and Luba (my co-workers). I decided to sit down with the kids and help out while my co-workers got the rest of the kids together. Apparently this really impressed the inspector. She wasn't aware that I wasn't supposed to start until 8:30, so when she mentioned me to my boss, my boss told her I wasn't actually supposed to start until a little later. Well, like I've said, the inspector was really impressed and so was my boss! So much so that even though I only worked an extra 10 or 15 minutes, she told me to claim an extra half hour lol. My supervisor came and told me all this while I was getting my kids ready to go outside. She also told me that the inspector was impressed with my abilities with the kids. She said that she could tell I had good control over them, and I did an excellent job.

Later in the day while I was on my lunch the inspector decided she had everything she needed and that she was going to leave. She got all the teachers together to compliment us in a job well done. She told us how much she enjoyed coming to centres where she got to give the workers good news. She told Cynthia and I how great a job we did, everything we did right, and added that she could tell we were naturals in the field and that we'd go a long way. We were both on cloud nine! But wait, it gets better!!!

After lunch we had a short 5 minute staff meeting. Nita (my boss) filled us in on the only three things that we needed to work on. In the grand scheme they were very insignificant so we weren't worried about them at all. Nita was very proud of the hard work we did. Then she revealed the REALLY good news. She told us that we would be receiving bonuses sometime in May. She explained that the government was giving extra money to non-profit daycares to compensate the workers. Well, normally we wouldn't be eligible because we're a "for-profit" daycare. But, our owner, Nita's husband, went to council and fought for us. He defended his position by saying that even though we're a for-profit daycare, we still deserve to be recognized for all the hardwork we do. Well, after a good deal of fighting he won!! Nita says they're not sure how much they're being given yet, but that once her husband has all the details worked out, we'll be receiving our bonuses, and that it should be sometime in May. Needless to say we were all very excited! Now there's one problem...there's a job posting on Job Bank for a fulltime daycare position at Laurentian Childcare (my old university).....to apply or not apply?? That is the question....